Monday, May 13, 2013

Source: Nemonic


London is officially calling.

I don't remember the particular moment that I decided London was Heaven on Earth, but I must have been about 7 years old and under the influence of one too many Harry Potter books. Throughout primary school and then high school I always answered the "What do you want to be when you grow up?" question with an enthusiastic "I'm going to be a writer!! In London!!" and now that I'm finally at university studying journalism the Big Smoke is all I think about. 

Despite a life-time of obsessing over the city that brought us tea and biscuits, Love Actually, and One Direction, I haven't actually had the pleasure of being there first hand. Yes, I've flipped through every guide book available at my local library, and yes, I've spent nights scrolling through webjet.com looking for cheap flights, but I never experienced that Australian right-of-passage trip across the sea to a country of pubs and expats. 

I'm only 5 months into a three year degree and I am already beginning to feel restless. I was always a dreamer, constantly looking for the next adventure to escape to, and I am really feeling that way at the moment. I just want to run away to London, work in a pub, wander the streets listening to glorious English accents. I want to spend a year having fun, making new contacts, and really getting stuck into my creative pursuits, especially fashion. The fact that The Kooks, Chris Martin, and Harry Styles call London home isn't really helping either....

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of this post was. I guess I just wanted to put the idea out into the universe, even if it's just for my sake. I am seriously considering deferring and living over in the city of my dreams for a year. I mean, how wonderful does that sound? The City of Dreams. 


1 comment:

  1. I just landed on this blog and it's amazing that we have so much in common.

    Journalism Graduate. Dreamer. Waiting to fly away.

    Hope your dreams come true :)

    ReplyDelete